Saturday, March 10, 2007

Letter to a Friend

Recently, I asked a friend to contribute to my blog. He asked whether I wanted interesting news articles or opinion. Here is my response to him:

Why don't you do some personal opinion first, supported by other sources if you'd like? I suspect you might come from a slightly different political area than I do and it would be nice to air differences in a civil manner.

I hope you saw the letter I posted from a friend. He accused me of being a "liberal" I suppose I am in some things. Then again, I suppose I might be more conservative in other areas. Labels are easy devices used to separate people, to identify "us" from the "enemy", rather than to understand issues.

I mean, in real-life situations, what does "liberal" or "conservative" mean? My correspondent accused me of being a liberal, but I believe in my second amendment right to bear arms. It puzzles me that liberals are always fighting to expand rights, but in an area that, at best, is murkily worded in the constitution, yet here they seek to restrict rights.

I have not touched on abortion yet. It's a very complicated issue when you study it seriously, and truth be told, I think both sides have a kernel of truth amidst all of their chaff.

I think a woman should have the right to choose. But why do the pro-lifers get their knickers in a twist about sex education and birth control and the "24 hour" birth control pill, measures that could reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies? And why don't they talk about funding pre-natal programs and after birth and child care and education and schooling programs for the children they want to see born? And why do so many "pro-lifers" seem so eager for the death penalty?

So while I stand with "pro-choice", I wonder if those folks really appreciate the sanctity of life, and that abortion should be a last resort.

As I said, I haven't touched that issue.. but this letter seems to be suitable for posting!

So join the fun!


TRM

No comments: